Victoria Sponge Cake
We love Victoria Sponge! It's perfect to slice up with afternoon tea... or just have a work's cake binge like us.
Servings: 8 people
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 250 g margarine (or vegan quark if you have it)
- 300 ml oat or almond milk
- 200 g golden caster sugar
- 200 g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- 2 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Heat the oven to 180oC.
- Put your oat milk and vinegar in a jug, leaving for a few minutes.
- In another bowl, put 1 tbsp vanilla essence, the flour, 150g of your margarine, caster sugar and baking powder. Mix together.
- Pour your cake mixture into your milk/vinegar mixture, and beat until smooth (an electric whisk works best!).
- Grease 2 x 7in round tins and divide your mixture between them.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes approx. Leave to cool.
- Now, make your filling. For the buttercream, mix your remaining 100g margarine with your icing sugar and 1 tbsp vanilla essence. Beat together until fluffy, not runny.
- Spread your jam, then buttercream, onto the top of one of your cakes. Place your other sponge on the top. Dust with a little icing sugar and you're done! Enjoy!