People seem to love bacon. On a sandwich, with a full English breakfast, for lunch…
But with the research showing that eating processed meats such as bacon (a carcinogen) increases your chances of certain types of cancer, we have good reason to stay away from it.
So what makes a good substitute? You can buy vegan bacon from supermarkets, online and health food shops – but of course, many are processed. How about making your own?
Tempeh bacon is thick, salty and really easy to make. Our version is also plant-based (and gluten-free if you use tamari). Give it a go!
The best part of the recipe is that it’s so versatile too. Feel free to add some BBQ marinade to the sauce, or even garlic and chilli flakes.
Have a look below the recipe for delicious bacon photos.
NB: worried about sourcing tempeh? It’s on Amazon! If you buy it in bulk in a jar, it will last FOREVER. You can also batch cook and freeze.
Easy Vegan Bacon
- Half pack tempeh
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- Preheat oven to 190oC
- Slice the tempeh block into long pieces (thickness as desired).
- Mix your soy sauce, onion powder, and liquid smoke together on a wide plate.
- Add your slices of tempeh to the liquid to soak it up. After 5 minutes, flip them over and leave for another 5 minutes.
- Line a tray with a baking sheet. Place your tempeh slices on and drizzle the olive oil over. Bake for 10 minutes (time may vary depending on how thick your slices are).
- If you like your bacon crispy, you can leave it in the oven for an additional 3 minutes.
Stages of recipe prep:
Pin me on Pinterest! Just click the social button to the left:
**Do remember that some of the products mentioned contain affiliate links, which simply means that we receive a small percentage of any sales with no extra cost to you. This helps to keep Learner Vegan running for free! We would never, ever recommend a product that hadn’t been fully researched, tried and tested by one of us first. Giving valuable recommendations and advice is our primary goal. For our full policy click here.