Ever since we visited Barcelona, there's been a Learner Vegan obsession with paella. This one is perfect for weight loss as it adds in more veggies and less rice. The joy is you can throw in any veggies you have that go well with a tomato-based sauce. This serves 3-4 and can be adjusted if needed.
- 1 litre vegan bouillon/stock
- 200 g paella rice (you can get away with using risotto rice if you have it to hand)
- 100 g sweetcorn
- 80 g white onion
- 6 pieces babycorn
- 100 g broccoli
- 50 g frozen peas
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 200 g passata/blended tomatoes
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- Add everything apart from the passata and bouillon to a wide pan.
- Add around 600ml of the bouillon to your pan and put on a moderate heat (it should be simmering constantly). Keep stirring so you don't get too much sticking to the bottom!
- The paella will be absorbing your bouillon constantly. If it starts to get a little dry, add more of your bouillon in 100ml increments.
- Add remaining ingredients after 10 minutes.
- The paella rice should be softening and expanding, with the veggies mostly cooked through after about 20 minutes. Add your passata now and mix in. Leave for another 5 minutes or so, and give it a taste test before serving.
- If you have a lemon, cut in half and squeeze over your finished dish. Enjoy!