As a mom, soup is one of my all-time favourite lunches.
I can batch make it to last several meals, and it’s a quick and nutritious dish.
When I was experimenting making soups, I wanted to put together ingredients that didn’t take a lot of cooking time, such as root vegetables or long-grain rice. Something I could whizz up in a hurry or when I was feeling lazy!
That’s how this lovely vegan noodle and greens soup came about. The noodles and beans are filling, and there are many essential nutrients in the greens. It’s a perfect meal for warm weather, as it’s based on broth and light on the stomach.
The great thing about this meal (apart from how quick it is to make!) is its versatility. You can throw in any green veg/salads you have really, or swap out the black-eyed beans for another small white bean. Even the noodles could be swapped for quinoa!
Pairing wholegrain crackers with this soup makes for an easy lunch! I often choose crackers instead of bread because you can get some really tasty gluten-free ones, that are healthy and aren’t as heavy on digestion. Crackers are also a good alternative to bread if you’re trying to achieve weight loss.
If you have more time, try swapping out the beans for baked tofu.
Looking for a more hearty soup for winter? Check out my Butternut Squash Soup too.
Noodle and Greens Soup
- 1 litre vegetable stock (made up with boiling water and stock cube)
- 1 tsp garlic power/puree
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil (optional for taste - could swap for rosemary)
- 3 stems spring onion
- 1 cup broccoli
- 0.5 cup peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 cup spinach or kale
- 1.5 cup wholegrain rice noodles (best for weight loss; however feel free to use noodles of choice)
- 1 cup black eyed beans (haricot or cannellini beans would work too)
- Add your stock to a large saucepan or skillet, with the garlic, chilli and basil and begin to simmer
- While your broth warms, wash all of your veg throughly. Then, chop the spring onion, broccoli and kale/spinach
- Add your broccoli and peas to the broth first and allow to cook for 5 minutes
- Rinse your beans and noodles thoroughly
- Next, add the spring onion and kale/spinach to the broth, along with the noodles and beans
- Allow to cook for a further 5 minutes
- Serve! Feel free to garnish with a sprig of basil or rosemary.
Want to share this to your Pinterest board for later? Just save the below image!