Do you miss eggs?
When I first went vegan, I missed the taste and dishes I made using eggs. As a prior vegetarian, I ate a lot of omelettes, scrambled eggs and quiche! I was really looking for something to fill that gap.
Of course, you don’t have to miss out as a vegan. Tofu is an amazing substitute for egg in a number of dishes, including this easy vegan quiche. The nutritional yeast and cheese give it a lovely mellow flavour, and you can add whatever veggies you fancy. Sometimes I’ll also add in chopped up vegan bacon or sausage.
Just scroll down for the recipe!
Easy Vegan Quiche
- 260 g plain flour and 130g margarine rubbed together for pastry (alternatively, buy pre-prepared shortcrust pastry such as Jus-rol)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40 g chopped onion
- 40 g chopped broccoli
- 30 g tinned sweetcorn
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 block plain firm tofu
- 2 tbsp unsweetened soya milk
- 40 g vegan cheese
- 1 shake salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional but makes it cheesier)
- Heat oven to 200oC.
- If you're making your pastry from scratch, rub the margarine into the flour to create 'breadcrumbs'. Add enough cold water to make a soft dough (not sticky). Roll out and press into a 7in round dish.
- For the filling, first flash fry the onion, garlic and broccoli in a touch of olive oil.
- Take off the heat and add the sweetcorn, mixing together with a little salt and pepper.
- Crumble the tofu into a blender with 20g cheese and soya milk. Blend.
- Mix the nutritional yeast and fried vegetables in with your tofu mixture.
- Add your finished filling to your pastry, level out and sprinkle your remaining 20g cheese on top.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until browning on top.
- Allow to cool and then ENJOY!
Will you give it a go? Let me know in the comments if you enjoyed it!
PS. Before you go, have you joined the community? We have a private Facebook group designed to help moms reach their health goals. It’s a positive, non-judgmental safe space where all questions are welcome. We have plenty of meal ideas and brainstorming, too!
You should also grab my FREE Action Plan: ‘From Junk Food Mom To Nourished Vegan!’ It includes 5 steps I took to ditch the junk food from my diet, lose 28lb and gain energy.