Ever met a single person who doesn’t like Macaroni Cheese? Us either!
This recipe is simple to grasp and takes less than 30 minutes to create. We’re sure the whole family will love it, and you can even sneak hidden veggies in there if you have kids.
Without any more reading to wade through, here’s my super Easy Vegan Macaroni Cheese recipe! Just don’t forget to take a look at the end of the recipe for cooking tips and variations on the meal.
Vegan Macaroni Cheese
- 2 cups pasta (of your choice)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter / margarine
- 1.25 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or puree
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 4 mushrooms (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 brown or white onion (OPTIONAL)
- 1 tbsp grated vegan cheese (OPTIONAL)
- Add the pasta to a large pan and simmer (time will depend on brand - check packaging). Pasta can cook while you prepare the sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, melt your butter. If using mushroom and onion, add these and gently saute for a few minutes.
- Whisk together the flour and milk until smooth, in a bowl.
- Add this to your saucepan and stir. Make sure the heat is medium - not boiling. You should find that after a minute the sauce starts to slowly thicken.
- Add your nutritional yeast, mustard, garlic and salt to the saucepan. Whisk frequently - don't let the sauce stick to the bottom!
- After about 5 minutes, your sauce should have thickened. Feel free to adjust to preference - you can add more almond milk to thin out.
- Add the cream cheese to the saucepan and stir in, allowing it to melt. Ensure the sauce does not boil.
- It's ready! Merge your pasta with the sauce and serve. We like ours with cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of cheese on top.
The best thing about this recipe is that you can experiment and adjust it to taste. For example, if you’re not serving this to children, try adding a little more dijon mustard or chilli powder for an added kick.
The mushrooms and onions are optional – they add a nice added texture and flavour so that the dish isn’t overwhelmingly pure cheese! Do feel free to put other veggies in instead – sweetcorn, leeks or peas are great choices.
For the pasta, you can use traditional macaroni – they are kinda sweet. Any pasta you have lurking in the cupboard will work, though. Brown rice fusilli is a good choice if you’re gluten-free. It also cooks in 12 minutes so you get to eat quicker!
Not used nutritional yeast before? Don’t be scared! It’s simply a tub of cheesy, nutty flakes that melt in dishes. You can get them from Holland and Barrett, larger Tescos, or Amazon.
Here are some pictures of the finished ‘Easy Vegan Macaroni Cheese’ – enjoy!
Want to PIN or share this recipe? Just click on an icon to the left and select the image directly below!